The future of film extends beyond the big screen next month at the Cinequest Film and VR Festival (Cinequest 2017), which will feature a record 500-plus screenings in addition to interactive exhibits and forums that explore the enticing possibilities of virtual reality.
Rebranded in an effort to recognize the advancements and potential of the virtual reality medium, this year’s event will showcase pioneers in the technology through a series of workshops and forums, a VR Canteen and Immersive Gallery, and there will even be an award category for works done in VR.
On Tuesday, Cinequest organizers also announced that actor Jane Lynch (Glee, Best In Show, A Mighty Wind, The 40-Year-Old Virgin) and producer-writer-director Jason Reitman (Thank You For Smoking, Juno, Up In The Air) will receive this year’s Maverick Spirit Awards. Past winners include James Franco, J.J. Abrams, Kevin Spacey, Rosario Dawson, Harrison Ford, William H. Macy, Gus Van Sant, Spike Lee, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Sir Ian McKellen, Neil Gaiman, Alec Baldwin and Sir Ben Kingsley.
This year’s event will include 504 festival screenings, up from 365 at last year’s event. In addition to the downtown San Jose theaters that normally host Cinequest, this year’s event will also travel to venues in Redwood City.
Cinequest Film & VR Festival 2017 (CINEQUEST 2017)
Expansion to Second Silicon Valley City, Powerhouse Virtual Reality Lineup, plus 132 World & U.S. Premieres Highlight Cinequest 2017
Cinequest Film and VR Festival (Cinequest 2017) will occur February 28th to March 12th in bastion San Jose, while expanding to Redwood City, California. Festival screenings and events have grown from 365 in 2016 to 504 in 2017. Heightening its fusion of technological innovation with empowering creativity, Cinequest will introduce an unparalleled Virtual Reality element to the 2017 festival.
Cinequest 2017 highlights include:
Opening Night Screening and Celebration: Feb. 28, 7:15 pm, California Theatre: Mark Pellington (Arlington Road) presents his poignant, fabulous new comedy, starring Shirley MacLaine (Terms of Endearment, Mrs. Winterbourne, Postcards from the Edge) and Amanda Seyfried (Les Misérables, Big Love, Mamma Mia!). Pre-screening includes special presentations and Jerry Nagano filling the lavish California Theatre with glorious music from the mighty Wurlitzer organ. Post-screening festivities and fun will take place at The Farmers Union.
Closing Night Screening and Celebration: March 12, 6:00 pm, California Theatre: Cinequest 2017 culminates with The Zookeeper’s Wife, directed by Niki Caro (Whale Rider, North Country) and starring two-time Academy Award-nominated Jessica Chastain (Miss Sloane, Zero Dark Thirty), Daniel Brühl (The Fifth Estate, Captain America: Civil War), and Johan Heldenbergh (The Broken Circle Breakdown).
Adapted from Diane Ackerman’s best-selling book, The Zookeeper’s Wife tells the tale of keepers of the Warsaw Zoo, Antonina and Jan Zabinski, who helped save hundreds of people and animals during the Nazi invasion. Pre-screening includes presentation of both the Cinequest Film & Cinequest VR Awards. Post-screening festivities and revelry will take place at The Hyatt Place San Jose Downtown.
“It’s a perfect film festival in a glorious place.” – Neil Gaiman, Maverick Spirit Award Winner
Maverick Spirit Award Events: Cinequest’s most prestigious accolade, the Maverick Spirit Award recognizes bold, visionary, and creative forces—those most compelling in the worlds of Silicon Valley innovation and the film arts. Previous guest recipients include: James Franco, J.J. Abrams, Kevin Spacey, Rosario Dawson, Harrison Ford, William H. Macy, Gus Van Sant, Spike Lee, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Sir Ian McKellen, Neil Gaiman, Alec Baldwin, and Sir Ben Kingsley. Please watch the
Cinequest Maverick Spirit Award video to view clips honoring these exceptional individuals.
This year’s two recipients are:
- _Actor, Jane Lynch (Glee, Best In Show, A Mighty Wind, The 40-Year-Old Virgin). Emmy award and Golden Globe winner, Maverick Spirit Award honoree Jane Lynch brings her very special presence to every project with which she’s involved. Multi-talented, statuesque, and undeniably charismatic, when she’s on screen, be it big or small, it’s impossible to take your eyes off her. A conversation with Jane Lynch and award presentation will precede the screening of her delightful new comedy, Writer’s Block, on Saturday, March 11, at 4:15 pm, California Theatre.
- _Producer-Writer-Director, Jason Reitman (Thank You For Smoking, Juno, Up In The Air). Early in his career, Jason Reitman established an amazingly simple credo: “I don’t want to make films that give you the answer. If there is a message to my films—and I hope there isn’t—it’s to be open-minded.” His screenplays and direction are masterful examples of subtle poignancy. A conversation with Jason Reitman (and award presentation) will occur as part of Cinequest’s Writers Celebration on Sunday, March 5, at 1:30 pm, Hammer Theatre.
Virtual Reality: It’s fitting that Cinequest, the long-time leader in showcasing and implementing pioneering technologies that have revolutionized the film medium, would produce a vanguard VR & AR experience. Cinequest’s Virtual Reality Experience features: 1) Workshops & Forums providing a major foundation/platform for emerging and established Artists & Innovators to understand the opportunities, how-to’s, and challenges present in VR & AR; 2) VR Cinema Audience Programs and a VR Canteen & Immersive Gallery, making available the latest, greatest VR movies, games, and interactive experiences to audiences; 3) The inaugural Cinequest VR Awards. Please see the Cinequest Virtual Reality Experience press release or visit www.cinequest.org/virtualreality for more details.
New Redwood City Venues Added to Magnificent San Jose Theatres: Cinequest’s Board and Founders are proud to announce increasing the festival’s San Jose presence and services by increased utilization of the spectacular California and Hammer Theatres, as well as adding screenings and events at Cinemark Santana Row, Fairmont San Jose, San Jose Stage Company, and Uchida Hall on the San Jose State campus. Further increasing our screening venues, Cinequest is expanding to the gorgeous, state of the art Cinemark Century 20 in Redwood City.
Notable World, North American and United States Film Premieres: Cinequest presents a superlative lineup of 132 World and U.S. premieres. Please see the Cinequest Premieres press release for full line-up which includes:
- _ACTORS ANONYMOUS – Based on the novel by and starring Academy Award-nominee James Franco, featuring Eric Roberts (The Dark Knight) – World Premiere
- _THE BLACK PRINCE – Starring Shabana Azmi (Neerja, 24: India), Jason Flemyng (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch); directors and producers from Bay Area – World Premiere
- _CELTIC SOUL – Starring Jay Baruchel (Tropic Thunder, This is the End)
- _THE DUNNING MAN – Starring James Carpinello (Gotham) – World Premiere
- _FIXED – Starring Erinn Hayes (Children’s Hospital), Andy Comeau (One Hour Photo), Alan Ruck (Ferris Beuller’s Day Off, Spin City), Keesha Sharp (Lethal Weapon), Mindy Sterling (Austin Powers), Nelson Franklin (Black-ish, The New Girl) – World Premiere
- _FORGOTTEN MAN – Starring Jerry Hall (Batman, 1989) – World Premiere
- _HEDGEHOG – Starring Madeline Brewer (Orange is the New Black), Ann Dowd (Masters of Sex, The Leftovers) – World Premiere
- _IMITATION GIRL – Starring Lewis Black (The Daily Show, Inside Out) – World Premiere
- _LOVESICK – featuring Jacob Tierney (The Trotsky), Jessica Pare (Mad Men), and Jay Baruchel (How to Train Your Dragon) • _MAY FIFTEENTH IN PARIS (short) – Executive Produced by Barbara De Fina (Casino, Goodfellas) – World Premiere
- _METAMORPHOSIS JUNIOR YEAR: Executive producer James Franco; Produced by Tom Franco; based on the novel by Betsy Franco – World Premiere
- _QUALITY PROBLEMS – Starring Chris Mulkey (Whiplash, Captain Phillips), Mo Gaffney (That ‘70s Show; Happy, Texas) – World Premiere
- _SECLUDED – starring Emilie Claudius Kruse (You and Me Forever)
- _THE SOUNDING – featuring Harris Yulin (Training Day), Teddy Sears (The Flash) – World Premiere
- _SHOW BUSINESS (short) – Starring Kristen Bell (Frozen), Erinn Hayes (Children’s Hospital), Robert Wuhl (Bull Durham, Batman), Steven Weber (House of Lies, Wings), Alessandra Torresani (Big Bang Theory); directed by Clark Duke (Hot Tub Time Machine, Greek, Clark and Michael) – World Premiere
- _SOY UNOENTRECIENMIL (short) – Directed by Penelope Cruz (Volver)
- _THIS IS MEG – Starring Debra Wilson (MADtv), Krista Allen (Emmanuelle), Carlos Alazraqui (Happy Feet, Inside Out), Jill-Michele Melean (MADtv) – World Premiere
- _THE UNATTAINABLE STORY – Starring Irina Björklund (The American), Harry Hamiln (LA Law), Edoardo Ballerini (The Sopranos)
- _THE VALLEY – Director Saila Kariat is from Bay Area – World Premiere
- _WILD MAN – Starring Ted Welch (True Blood), Kate Upton (The Other Woman), Stefanie Black (Scandal), Mike Vogel (Under the Dome) – World Premiere
- _YOU ARE MY SUNDAY – Starring Barun Sobti (Shraddha) and Shahana Goswami (Midnight’s Children)
Notable Star Performances:
- _CARRIE PILBY – Starring Ben Powley (The Diary of a Teenage Girl), Nathan Lane (The Birdcage), Gabriel Byrne (The Usual Suspects), Vanessa Bayer (SNL)
- _THE COMMUNE – Directed by Thomas Vinterberg (The Hunt, The Celebration)
- _GOLDSTONE – Starring Aaron Pedersen (Mystery Road), Alex Russell (Blood in the Water, Carrie), Pei Pei Cheng (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
- _INDIA IN A DAY – Executive Producer Ridley Scott (Alien, Blade Runner), produced by Google
- _THE LAST WORD – Starring Shirley MacLaine (Terms of Endearment, Mrs. Winterbourne, Postcards from the Edge), Amanda Seyfried (Les Misérables, Big Love, Mamma Mia!), Anne Heche (Wag the Dog), Philip Baker Hall (Bruce Almighty); directed by Mark Pellington (Arlington Road)
- _MR. INVINCIBLE – Starring Alyson Stoner (Cheaper by the Dozen, Step Up) and Bill Engvall (Blue Collar Comedy). Work-in-progress screening.
- _MY MOM AND THE GIRL (short) – starring Valerie Harper
- _THE OTTOMAN LIEUTENANT – Starring Michiel Huisman (Game of Thrones), Hera Hilmar (Da Vinci’s Demons), Josh Harnett (Penny Dreadful) and Sir Ben Kingsley (Schindler’s List)
- _THE PROMISE – Starring Oscar Isaac (Star Wars: The Force Awakens), Charlotte Le Bon (The Walk), Christian Bale (Batman Begins); directed by Academy Award-winning Terry George (Hotel Rwanda)
- _PYROMANIAC – Directed by Erik Skjoldbjærg (Insomnia)
- _(RE)ASSIGNMENT – starring Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar, The Fast and the Furious), Sigourney Weaver (Aliens, Ghostbusters)
- _THE SENSE OF AN ENDING – Starring Jim Broadbent (Harry Potter), Charlotte Rampling (Melancholia), Emily Mortimer (Lars and the Real Girl, Shutter Island)
- _SHAME (short) – Executive Produced by Denzel Washington
- _THOSE EYES (short) – Starring Ethan Embry (Can’t Hardly Wait, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle)
- _TOMMY’S HONOUR – Starring Sam Neill (Jurassic Park), Peter Mullan (Trainspotting), Ophelia Lovibond (Guardians of the Galaxy); directed by Jason Connery (Sean Connery’s son)
- _UNA – Starring Rooney Mara (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and Ben Mendelsohn (Rogue One)
- _WRITER’S BLOCK (short) – Jane Lynch (Glee, Wreck It Ralph)
- _THE ZOOKEEPER’S WIFE – Starring two-time Academy Award-nominated Jessica Chastain (Miss Sloane, Zero Dark Thirty), Daniel Brühl (The Fifth Estate, Captain America: Civil War), Johan Heldenbergh (The Broken Circle Breakdown); directed by Niki Caro (Whale Rider; North Country; McFarland, USA)
For more on the Cinequest story, please watch The Future of Cinequest video.
Cinequest Film and Virtual Reality Festival 2017 will occur February 28th to March 12th in San Jose and Redwood City (Silicon Valley).
Join us for Maverick Spirit events with Jane Lynch (Glee) and Jason Reitman (Juno); 129 World and U.S. Premiere Films (featuring stars like Amanda Seyfried, Shirley MacLaine, Jessica Chastain, Oscar Isaac, Nathan Lane, James Franco, Ben Mendelsohn, Michiel Huisman, Sir Ben Kingsley, Michelle Rodriguez, Sigourney Weaver, Rooney Mara, and Christian Bale); 800+ presenting artists and innovators; spectacular virtual reality experiences; and fabulous celebrations. Complete lineup, passes, and tickets at www.cinequest.org
A vanguard organization set in the Silicon Valley, Cinequest’s uniqueness and impact result from being ahead of the curve in the powerful integration of creativity and technology. Cinequest fuses the world of the filmed arts with that of Silicon Valley’s innovation to empower youth, artists, and innovators to create and connect – driving transformations and a better tomorrow. Cinequest does this through Cinequest Film & VR Festival, Picture The Possibilities (PTP), and its sister company Cinequest Mavericks Studio. (Voted Best Film Festival by USA Today Readers.)
Cinequest 2017 Partners: Applied Materials (NYSE: AMAT), Kaiser Permanente, Harmonic (NYSE: HLIT), Unity Technologies, Canon (NYSE: CAJ), IMDb an Amazon Company (AMZN), Panasonic (OTCMKTS:PCRFY), Stella Artois (NYSE: AHBIF), Tito’s Handmade Vodka, Google (NYSE: GOOG), AMD Radeon (NYSE: AMD), RED, Samsung (KSE:KS005935), Hint Water, Comerica Incorporated (NYSE: CMA), Agile Ticketing Solutions, NBC Bay Area, Metro, KQED, SF Media Co., Telemundo, Cinemark (NYSE: CNK), Fairmont San Jose (NYSE: FHR), Hyatt Place San Jose Downtown (NYSE: H), Hilton San Jose (NYSE: HLT), Marriott San Jose (NYSE: MAR), Hotel De Anza, Wiivv, Barco (EBR:BAR), VTA, Caltrain, SamTrans, Eddie Lira, SV Creates, San Jose Downtown Association, Team San Jose, and the City of San Jose
PTP Partners: Kaiser Permanente, The Hearst Foundations, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, The David & Lucile Packard Foundation, Morrison & Foerster Foundation, Capital Group, Hewlett Packard Workstations (NYSE: HPQ), Brett Company, Google (NYSE: GOOG), Liquid Agency, Seagate (NYSE: STX), Litepanels, Cisco (NYSC: CSCO), AudioTechnica, Media Center, Adobe (NYSE: ADBE), Eddie Lira, GlideCam, Atomos, Rhino Camera Gear, Manfrotto, Red Giant (NYSE: REDG)